Overdrive Install Update

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overdrive Install Update
From: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@newedge.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 16:52:20 -0700 (MST)
Hey listers...

Man, has it been a slow weekend on the list! SO, to spice things up - an
update and a joke.

First the update. With the engine & tranny now out of the car, I set about
removing and cleaning up the starter motor. With that out of the way, I
unbolted the transmission mounting bolts, and using the hoist to bear it's
weight and keep it level, withdrew the transmission from the engine. What a
mess. The oil from the bad seal had drenched everything. As I set about
cleaning up the road grime from the engine, the sight of a spring-like
object protruding from the backing plate at the lower starter motor mounting
hole reminded me of 'the repair'.

After installing the engine last time, I had sripped out the lower bolt hole
for the starter motor, and used a product called 'Heli-Coil' or something to
recreate the thread in the backing plate.

Since I've gone this far, I discovered that the old GT I had parted out a
few years back, had left me with another engine backing plate - with a
perfect thread in the appropriate hole. So now the engine backing plate
comes off. Be damned if I didn't also discover the correct gasket for
remounting.

This should make the act of re-installing the seal much easier.

I've also had the exhaust manifold sandblasted and am using a header paint
from Bill Hirsch, which many claim positives for. So far, looks good, but I
just can't convince the SO to let me fire up the oven in the kitchen for curing!

Next up, the front oil seal, and some detailing of the block..and more
cleaning...

And now, humour: a thirsty gentleman comes across one of the Spice Girls at
a soda machine. She puts in a Looney (CDN dollar coin), out comes a soda,
she screams, puts in another coin, another soda, another scream. After a few
of these the guy asks, "um, are you going to be finished anytime soon?"

"Duh!", said the Spice Girl, "Can't you see I'm on a winning streak!"

It's late...

Terry 'Take My Wife...' Williams
'70 BGT
'68 roadster