Re: rechroming

To: mgworld@chp.ltd.uk
Subject: Re: rechroming
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 10:47:25 -0600
Or...

Do it yourself.  If you have a bench grinder you can buy cotton wheels
and polish at most hardware stores.  You don't really need one of those
huge buffing machines unless you are doing a lot of buffing on large
pieces.  I've done my own bellhousings on my carbs this way, for example.
 Dings can be taken out with fine emery paper, then use progressively
finer sandpaper to take out the scratches.  It helps to use kerosene or
other solvent to wet the paper.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'88 Jaguar XJ-S

On Sat, 21 Feb 98 10:15:44 -0000 Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk> writes:
>On 21/2/98 9:04 am Art Pfenninger said
>
>>Check your phone book there are places that buff aluminum so bright
>that
>>it shines like chrome.
>
>I'd second that. Polished ally really looks the part on a sports car:
>more subtle than chrome. If you're lots of patience you could do it
>with
>Brasso wadding polish. Yes, I know it's made for brass, but it does a
>good job on ally if you don't mind the horrible black gunge. Highly
>polished aluminium shouldn't oxidise either so you needed worry about
>laquering it. Go for it!
>

>Philip Raby
>Editor, MG World
>PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
>Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
>www.chp.ltd.uk

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]