Electrical woes solved

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Electrical woes solved
From: BobTorrens@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 23:03:51 EST
My heartfelt thanks to everyone who pitched in with a suggestion as to why the
wipers, ignition, handbrake circuit, and sometime the engine continued to work
when the key was removed on my '78 B. I isolated diodes in the handbrake
circuit, disconnected the alternator, took the ignition switch apart all to no
avail. Turns out, as someone on the list suggested, that the part of the
harness that goes from the right fenderwell then under the car has a tendency
to chafe due to it's close proximity to the body.  Sure enough, one of the
white leads which energizes the ignition relay switch was grounding. After
taping the offending wire, I put in  a length of that plastic insulation
tubing around the harness as it makes the bend under the car. Hopefully that
won't happen again!
Many thanks,
Bob Torrens