valve adjustment

Subject: valve adjustment
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:25:54 -0600
This weekend I did my first valve adjustment on my '75 MGB. It made a
huge difference on how smooth the motor feels, I can't feel a
performance difference, but it sure "feels" different. I guess I'm
encouraging folks to not neglect this simple maintenance item.

One question... I adjusted the valves to just have fair resistance on
the feeler gauge, is that the correct way to do it?

Before I adjusted the valves, they were all tight. Could that cause the
engine to sound "thrashy"? It sounds like it has less valve noise now
that it did before, and  I loosened the valves.

One hint... remove the spark plugs and put the car in 4th gear and then
push/pull it to close the correct valve for adjustment.

--
John Steczkowski
Director, Business Systems Solutions, Central & West