header

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: header
From: "Tom Reichard" <Tom@LakeMurray.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:35:23 -0500
How does one correctly connect a tubular header to the exhaust pipe? The
original setup has a pipe from the exhaust manifold down to the joint, which
consists of the two pipe ends being flared, a "donut" seal fitting between
the two sections, and a clamp affair holding the whole works together. The
pipe from the header has no flare, and can't be connected to the exhaust
pipe using the donut and clamp affair. Seems I can (1) cut the flange off
the existing pipe, fit and weld the new pipe to it, using an adapter if
necessary to match size, or (2) do the same thing but use pipe clamps
instead of welding, or (3) have the end of the new pipe flared (is that
possible?) and use the existing type of clamp and donut. What's the correct
or best way?
(I know the above is a convoluted description -- not knowing the correct
terms for the parts, makes it hard to describe)
If I take it to a muffler shop, will they install it, or is that verboten
because the car should have a catalytic converter, even though that has long
ago been removed?