Re: Battery storage / Voltage

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Battery storage / Voltage
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 00:00:03 EST

> A good battery, with a full charge, produces 12.6 volts.  An alternator is
>  regulated to produce a steady 14.6 volts under all conditions, within it's
>  capacity.  If the load on the alternator increases, the internal regulator

My car runs 15V at the battery terminals with the engine running and the
lights off. With the lights on it runs 14.5V. These were measured with an
accurate meter. I assumed that this was too high, as I've always heard
that 14V was the proper level. Is 15V ok? I don't want to cook my battery.

BTW, I work for a company that manufactures car radios and we spec them
to run from 10.5V to 16V (14V nominal). Quite a range.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336