Re: MGB Temp and oil pressure - future implications

To: danray@bluegrass.net
Subject: Re: MGB Temp and oil pressure - future implications
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 19:14:11 EST

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998 18:28:10 -0600 "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
writes:
>It seems that my B is doing ok, based on other's readings. No, the
>readings
>don't seem high, just pretty "healthy", I guess. No more than 75 on
>acceleration, and 50 or so on idle. The Temp hasn't touched "N" yet,
>even on
>long hill climbs.
>This may have future implications, though, since my compression is low
>(55
>on one, 75-80 on the others) and I KNOW that I have a busted exhaust
>valve,
>(snappety snap snap of the pants leg at the tail pipe, forget the
>dollar
>bill test!)
>If I fix the head only, I might risk causing more problems with the
>bottom
>end with all that pressure...hmmm...

 Actually, you are probably doing more damage to the bottom end with the
low compression figures.
  That much below "normal" would be a good indication of worn rings, and
consequently excessive blow-by.
  All the combustion byproducts being introduced into the oil sump and
crankshaft area can very rapidly deteriorate the oil. One of products of
blow-by and hot oil and water vapor is a mild sulferic acid. Nothing good
has ever been reported about having acid running through an oiling
system.
 Given the oil pressures you have, the Bottom end sounds like it's in
good shape right  now, and bringing the compression back up to standard
should not have any adverse effects on it. Plus it will make the car a
lot more fun to drive.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]