Re: Re[2]: MGB Front Wheel Bearing Q's

To: ame@synaptics.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: MGB Front Wheel Bearing Q's
From: rkegg@juno.com (Randell S Kegg)
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 22:08:02 EST
What you are referring to is a metal spacer that fits between the spindle
and the inner bearing. Unless it shows obvious signs of being worn or
torn up from some catastrophic bearing failure, you can reuse it. It is
not an item that normally wears out.

Randy Kegg

On Mon, 02 Mar 98 17:35:11 Pst ame@synaptics.com writes:
>     No, I didn't mean the oil seal (I have a new one), I mean the oil
>seal
>     collar.  This is fitted to the stub axle before putting the hub
>on,
>     and of course if I am reusing it all I do is leave it there.  It
>is
>     shown in the Porter book, p179, photo HDP10.
>
>     If I have to get a new one it's $20 (per side!), but I'd like to
>have
>     it to hand if it turns out I'm going to have to replace it...
>
>     Andy

>_________________________________
>Subject: Re: MGB Front Wheel Bearing Q's
>Author:  "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net> at Internet
>Date:    3/2/98 17:16
>

>Just did this job. The quick answer to reusing the oil seal is a
>resounding
>NOPE!
>You have to remove the seal to get to the inner bearing.
>I had to really jam on the seal to get it out, so it was trashed. Its
>not
>too tough to get a new one in, and you've got a new one anyway.
>
>Dan

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]