Re: MGA rear wheel bearing

To: "Bill Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA rear wheel bearing
From: "David F.Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 98 13:43:06 PST
Hello Bill:

I've always pulled the things with a three-pound slide hammer, then let the
machine shop press old bearings out and new ones in as I don't have a
press. I reinstall with a heavy rubber mallet.

One can try using a straight-jawed "monkey" wrench, but if the nut is the
least bit tight you're in trouble. There's no substitute for the correct
octagon spanner; it's size is 1-61/64". I got mine from Rob Nortier of
British Tools in Grand Rapids, MI.

YMMV,

David Darby
> Before I launch into the blow by blow, I have a question for the list.
Has
> anyone ever had an MGA lose a rear wheel bearing?  These things look
mighty
> meaty for their intended purpose.
snip...