That sick feeling...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: That sick feeling...
From: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 18:49:03 -0600 (CST)
Today started as a good day...yeah...it may have been overcast, but
everything was going smooth.  The car was running good, got out of class
early, didn't have much else going for the rest of the day.  I was just
going to take it easy.

I go out to the parking lot, put something in on the passenger door, and
walk around the front of the car admiring it.  "Ahh...can't wait until the
sunshine comes out..."  Then I stop dead in my tracks, and a sick feeling
comes over me. As I look down, I see my bonnect squished down into the
grille area.  I look around, the car in front of me had already left long
ago (parallel parking, nonetheless).  I look around for help, and I have no
choice but to go call campus security.

No, this person didn't even have the decency to leave a note, and I
hopelessly look around at a few scraps of paper on the ground.  I wouldn't
have that much luck.  Of course, I only have liability on the car, and since
the other person didn't bother to be decent, I guess the money is going to
have to come out of my own pocket.  I struggle and struggle, as a full-time
college student, to make something worth my while...something I can be proud
of, and someone has to just go and destroy a little bit of that hard work.

"It could have been a lot worse," I say to myself.  At least the bonnet was
the only thing damaged.  It looks like hell though...oh that sick feeling.
I come to appreciate the recessed grille a little more too.  It would have
been destroyed if it were any other style.  Just a little bending outward
will fix it.  Maybe a little body work and a coat of paint can fix that
bonnet.  Still, I'll be paying for it myself.

After campus security had left and finished their useless report, I do a
little investigating of my own.  Looking close, I can tell that whatever did
this was a red vehicle with rubber bumpers...painted rubber bumpers.  From
the angle it hit the bonnet (from above), it was probably a pickup.  Now my
only satisfaction is going to be searching the parking lot over the next few
weeks until I find that vehicle, and inspect their rear bumper for the
slightest scratch.  No, I'm not out for revenge.  All I want is the decency
of this person to have the damages paid for.  That's all I ask.

*sigh*

Blake Wylie
1970 MGB with a broken nose.   :\