Re: British Cars in the USA Question

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: British Cars in the USA Question
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 15:41:41 EST
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 11:39:39 -0600 dmeadow@juno.com writes:

>Actually, I understand that the later cars were quite good, once they
>got the problems sorted out.  The earlier cars had notoriously bad
>gearboxes that were later replaced by a different manufacturer.  Of
>course, their reputation was gone by then.  Does this scenario sound
>familiar?  GM (can you spell Fiero) and many British car companies
>(can you spell MGA Twin Cam) seem to go down this well-worn path.  It
>never pays to do product testing at your customers' expense.
>
>There was nothing wrong with the engine, being the same six cylinder
>used in the Acura Legend.
>
>David Littlefield

Interesting - I never heard about the ones that were ok - but then i
suppose one is less likely to - oh - and add TR7 to the list of "test"
vehicles for crappy gearboxes
(I had three in one in 76 when it was new!!)
Notwithstanding, the electrics of the sterling were horrendous - worse
than an 82 XJ6 or even a jensen!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT