Re: British Cars in the USA Question

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: British Cars in the USA Question
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 11:39:39 -0600
On Mon, 09 Mar 1998 11:23:35 EST miker15@juno.com writes:

>On Mon, 09 Mar 1998 10:49:45 -0500 Benjamin Ruset <bruset@home.com>
>writes:
>>Is Sterling the domestic version of Rover?
>>
>>What's the general thought of Sterlings? Are they on the same level
>of
>>quality / luxury you might expect from BMW or Mercedes??
>>
>The Sterling is the EXPORT version of a Rover - basically its a Honda
>put together
>as badly as can be imagined - whilst quite luxurious superficially
>they are absolute lemons!

Actually, I understand that the later cars were quite good, once they got
the problems sorted out.  The earlier cars had notoriously bad gearboxes
that were later replaced by a different manufacturer.  Of course, their
reputation was gone by then.  Does this scenario sound familiar?  GM (can
you spell Fiero) and many British car companies (can you spell MGA Twin
Cam) seem to go down this well-worn path.  It never pays to do product
testing at your customers' expense.

There was nothing wrong with the engine, being the same six cylinder used
in the Acura Legend.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII