Re: Busted Bolt Extraction

To: Matt.Kulka@hboc.com
Subject: Re: Busted Bolt Extraction
From: Ron Madurski <rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 16:47:50 -0600 (CST)
:bolts.
:
:I tried to grab it with a vice-grip, but there wasn't enough bolt
:sticking out to get a grip on.  Next step, I drilled a hole in the
:middle of the bolt, inserted a screw-extractor, gently tapped it with a
:ball peen to set the threads.  Connected a tee-handle, gently applied

I think this tap was your downfall.  Probably expanded the bolt and made
it tighter than it was to start...

:pressure, felt the threads take a bite, added more torque, and then
:piinnngg!  The screw extractor broke off in the bolt.
:

Do you have a Dremel/Rotary tool you can use to gridn it out?  If not
you can get a good carbide bit at the tool store to cut through just
about anything.  Remember the chant to use is...

Heat, penetrant, twist, sip
Heat, penetrant, twist, sip
Heat, penetrant, twist, sip
Heat, penetrant, twist, sip