Unstuck pistons--follow-up

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Unstuck pistons--follow-up
From: code5 <code5@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 22:55:43 -0500
Hello All--
Thanks again to the many who offered advice. I just thought I'd let you
know how it turned out.
The coke didn't do much, because the problem wasn't rust, it seems, but
some sort of varnish-like build-up.
I used a round, bore-size piece of elm (anything else split) and a
six-pound sledge to drive the pistons as far downward as they'd go
without hitting the bottoms of the skirts. Then I scraped the above
deposits of the bottom 2 inches of the pistons. Next I cleaned out the
bore with steel wool. This cleaning enlarged clearances enough that I
could drive the pistons back up through the top.
I have a feeling they're gonners, though.
BTW, the amount of crud in the water jacket under the freeze-out plugs
is scary. No wonder people say these things run hot!
Regards.
John Vallely
'59 mga