Re: Midget Tranny Refill, Speedo-Tach bulbs

To: HORNERLJH <HORNERLJH@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Midget Tranny Refill, Speedo-Tach bulbs
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 13:54:45 -0500
HORNERLJH wrote:
> 1.)  Thx to Richard Arnold for his ingenious IV bottle invention.  My problem
> is getting to the tranny filler plug without the car on a lift.  So, reference
> your procedure #2, how does one "crawl under the vehicle"?  I have a similar
> car to yours, mine is a 1975 Midget, so we both have slightly more ground
> clearance than pre-75's.  I am of "medium height & build" & can barely reach
> my arm under the unjacked car to reach the engine oil drain plug, never mind
> the more hidden tranny filler plug.  Is there a way to reach it through the
> rubber bung hole in the passenger footwell?

  As far as I know, there is not.

  The problem is that the bung hole is on the side where the tranny
filler plug was on the A series engine and transmission, which isn't
at all right for the Marina transmission in our 1975s.

  What I do is buy an extra bottle of gear oil and a bit of hose. Climb
under, run the hose into the hole, and squeeze oil through it with the
bottle. You need an extra bottle because this only works for the "top
half" of the gear oil bottle, you can't squeeze it hard enough to
empty it. So pause periodically and refill the squeeze bottle from the
spare.

  If you have enough hose, having a friend on the side of the car
squeezing the bottle works well, you can just guide it and watch
for "fill spills".

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada