'53 MG TD / '65 MGB engine swap

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: '53 MG TD / '65 MGB engine swap
From: "jspeiser" <jspeiser@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 20:10:37 -0500
Any listers out there have experience putting a 5-main '65-'66 MGB engine
with OD trans into a '53 MGTD?
I've modified the TD front engine mount and that seems OK.  Had a bit of
trouble fitting the original MGB exhaust manifold but found an aftermarket
job that seems to fit with about 1/4 inch space between it and the steering
column.
Will the SU's fit?  My estimate indicates that the vertical bonnet side
won't close by about 1/2 inch even when I fit 1/2 size carb spacers (Moss
catalog calls them "distance pieces") instead of the thicker originals.
I'm not sure what else I can eliminate or shave down in order to gain a bit
more room.  I saw one of these conversions that simply had a hole cut into
the bonnet to accommodate the carbs sticking out ... but ... Any other
ideas?

John Speiser
Montclair, NJ