'53 MG TD / '65 MGB engine swap

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '53 MG TD / '65 MGB engine swap
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 06:40:08 -0800 (PST)

Q - Any listers out there have experience putting a 5-main '65-'66 MGB engine
with OD trans into a '53 MGTD?

A - This is an overcomplicated swap that has been done many times by people
who absolutly insist keeping all things Octagon. I have also seen Triumph
TR4, Ford Pinto 2 liter, Ford flathead V8/60 and Triumph Spitfire 1500s
installed as well(this doesnt count the butchered rods that featured mills
as big as a 427/GMC blown, big block in one near stock looking black TD in
the San Fernando Valley!)

The best swaps are the Volvo 1600/1800 that was quite popular for years (a
bit agricultural for me ) and the Datsun 1300/1400/1500 OHV four that was
derived from the BMC 948/1098/1275 engine under license in the late 70s and
early 80s. This engine and trans is actually smaller than stock and fits
with no cutting and is fully reversable back to original. You can even get
the Japanese market SSS twin SU/Hitatchi carbs for one. The only problem is
that they are on the wrong side of the engine and this confuses everyone!
Mike O'connor of O'connor Classics in Santa Clara even was able to modify a
TD "coffin" style rocker cover to fit on the Datsun mill.

Q - Will the SU's fit?  My estimate indicates that the vertical bonnet side
won't close by about 1/2 inch even when I fit 1/2 size carb spacers (Moss
catalog calls them "distance pieces") instead of the thicker originals.
I'm not sure what else I can eliminate or shave down in order to gain a bit
more room.  I saw one of these conversions that simply had a hole cut into
the bonnet to accommodate the carbs sticking out ... but ... Any other
ideas?  John Speiser  Montclair, NJ

A - In the old days we used to find an old headlight from an American car
from the mid 1930s cut it in half the long way and weld it back together at
the place the headlamp rim would be, creating an oval shaped "bubble" that
could be welded onto the side of the bonnet. I think that there is
something like this (only smaller) to clear the generator or something on
the TD MK II. You also could cut the "bubble" off of a wrecked TR4 bonnet
but I don't know if it would be big enough. Another solution might be to
use a Cannon intake and Weber downdraught carb but this should be measured
as well.

Rick Feibusch
Automotive Journalist/Appraiser
Venice Beach, California