Re: Moss Carpet kit

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Moss Carpet kit
From: stuart farmer <k7wf@kalama.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:33:30 -0800
At 11:15 AM 3/11/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I have the trunk carpet kit for my MGB, I was kind of dissappointed by
>what I got. It's basically 5 pieces of carpet that, with a couple of
>pieces that are cut/sewn to fit over the fenders and on the back wall.
>I'm debating on how to install it...
>
>I think the best way to do the side pieces over the fender is to use
>spray contact adhesive (like for a headliner).
>
>for the part on the back of the trunk, I think I should glue the carpet
>on a piece of fiberboard or something and velcro that to the front wall
>of the trunk. Use the same technique for the piece that goes part of the
>trunk against the back of the car.
>
>On the bottom, I was going to trim the bottom piece with a little more
>precision and then have the edge sewn up at an upholstery shop and just
>lay it on the bottom.  Although, if the board technique works well, I
>may use that for the bottom...
>
>The more I think about it, glueing the pieces to fiberboard may be the
>best way to make it look clean. One of the things I needed to accomplish
>was to not have raw edges of carpet showing....
>
>I'm not really excited about glueing the sides, but I guess if someone
>wanted to remove the carpet, they'd just have to spend some time
>cleaning out the glue.
>
>Any other hints?
>
>One more question.  Does the Moss deluxe interior kit come the same way,
>or is it more "finished"?
>--
>John Steczkowski

    JOHN, I glued mine to the existing panels, but you have a good idea with
the fiberboard. I used the glue that Moss has advertised for this purpose.
One other thing you have to consider, which I found out when the job
was complete.....I have a spare Rostyle wheel in the boot, and the wheel is
that much higher than before you installed the carpet. Consequently, the
spare wheel clamp will not reach the threads which secure it to the
floor of the boot.  To overcome this, I turned the wheel upside down and
cut a length of 2" plastic pipe as a distance piece....this worked. The
other solution would be to have a piece welded onto the spare wheel clamp.

Cheerio, Stuart.....'79MGB (with the roof down)
Stuart Farmer
2724 Florida St.
Longview,WA 98632         k7wf@kalama.com
Tel: 360-423-1769