Re: mga carpet kits

To: code5@ibm.net
Subject: Re: mga carpet kits
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:08:15 -0600
John:-

I bought the top quality (wool) kit from Moss almost ten years ago and
installed it.  I was quite pleased with the result, although I had to use
the instructions in the A-Antics Technical Manual.  As I recall, Moss
didn't send comprehensive directions.  It has lasted quite well.

I have seen the Scarbourough Faire kit and it was not quite as nice as
the expensive Moss set, but the price was more along the lines of the
cheaper Moss kits.

It is not an easy job regardless of the kit you buy.  You have to remove
the seats and deal with all the lift-the-dots and use upholstery glue and
a good staple gun.  It can be messy, but shouldn't take more than a day
if you have all the materials handy.  You don't need to pay someone to do
it.  With any aptitude at all, you can handle the task.

BTW, don't screw your arm rest down with screws going up through the
carpet.  I did this and when I was finished the damned thing was too far
back.  Of course, at this point I would have to remove the transmission
carpet, which I had stapled down, in order to get at those damned screws.
 A much better solution is to sew a velcro strip on the carpet and glue
another on the armrest.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII