Re: Mods + MG ?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Mods + MG ?
From: Paul Hird <paulhird@club29.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 13:36:29 +0000
As far as I can remember the Mods and Rockers didn't really take-off
until the early 60's (perhaps '61 or '62).  I was 8 or 9 years old at
the time and followed the clothes, the haircuts and the music scene with
fascination and admiration all the way through.  The Mod scene was
probably at its height between 1964 and 1966.  Remember the line in the
Beatles film A Hard Day's Night, where Ringo is asked if he is a mod or
a Rocker - to which he replies "I'm a Mocker" - well, that was 1964.
During the summer Bank Holidays hundreds of Mods and Rockers would ride
to Brighton for a mass punch-up.

Mods really died out in the very early seventies as I remember.  The
only credible form of transport was on two wheels and they had to be
Italian (either Vespa or Lambretta).  My perception of the MGB and other
sports cars at the time (e.g. TR4/5) was that they were for middle
classic middle age people.  The Mod scene was mainly a young working-
class thing and an MG was not something a Mod could afford or would
aspire to. Most Mods that I knew went on to customised Minis, Ford
Anglias or Lotus Cortinas (usually because they got their 'bird'
pregnant and had to carry a kid around). But by that time they were no
longer Mods.  Myself, I bought a Mini Cooper-S.

By the time I bought my first MG in 1973 I was no longer a Mod - I was
middle class and with a sensible job 8-(.

Lambretta LI150
Lambretta GT200

Paul Hird

In message , Skye Poier <skye@jungle.direct.ca> said .....
>Hello,
>
>Being fascinated with all things British, I've recently been curious - was
>there any relationship between the Mods (the original Mods in the late 50s
>and early 60s, not the "Quadrophenia" revival in 79) and the MG marque?
>Or did they just stick to Vespa and Lambretta? :)
>
>Curious,
>Skye
>
>- --
>www.mgb.bc.ca