The Change - Oil, that is. Novices take Heed!

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The Change - Oil, that is. Novices take Heed!
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:10:43 -0600
Well listers, I changed the oil in both engine and trans for the first time
today.
The motor oil was fine, no biggie, piece of cake. The tranny.....GRRRR.
Yep, the checker/filler is in FRONT ie FORWARD of the radio console, not
"behind" the Console as I was thinking (and Haynes said! grrrr, again). I'm
not a Navy guy or I'd use the more descriptive Aft and Astern or whatever,
confusing terms for a land lubber. The bung cover was easy, the dipstick was
easy, getting the oil OUT was easy (and it looked almost NEW!).
But man, what a messy, god forsaken job getting the new oil back in was!!!
As an NOF (Non Old Fart) or "tweener" (?!) I duly ignored the advice of
getting a pump device to get the oil in there, I found a tube like device at
Autozone that allows you to connect one end to the oil bottle and close/open
the flow...ahhh, but the rub is, folks, no air = no flow! so here I am, on
my knees, ass waving to the other bemused patrons of the Auto Craft Shop,
with my "handy" $4 device, trying to hold the one end in the open filler
hole and attempting to poke a hole in the (now slippery) oil bottle with a
phillips...no nail handy...Worked great, until the bottle is about 3/4
empty, then El Halto, and how do you get the bottle, and "handy device" out
of the car without spilling? You don't, especially since I poked a hole in
the bottom of the bottle...
moral of the story to the uninitiated: Get a pump device, or a funnel with a
LONG tube and a friend to hold the free end in to the filler hole so you
aren't lubricating the outside of the tranny instead of the inside...
Just thought I'd share....
I'm still smiling, and so is my B! And I only cursed once - when I couldn't
find a dustpan to clean up all the dry-sweep! I'm learning. :)

Dan
'73 B