Re: The Change - Oil, that is. Novices take Heed!

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: The Change - Oil, that is. Novices take Heed!
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 07:04:14 EST
Hi Mike,
  For $20 it's worth it to have someone else change the oil. I still do
it, but every time I realise the truth of what you said.
  One example, though, of why one might want to DIY---Ingrid, Kristen's
older daughter and my dearly-beloved step, took her Honda Civic to a
Jiffylube (or something) a couple of years ago.  A few weeks later, I got
a call from her. She was stuck in Hamden, car wouln't roll downhill, etc.
  Investigation at the Honda agency, which followed my investigation and
efforts to drive and, finally, a flatbed truck, etc.,----someone had put
auto trans fluid into the MC.
Well, of course, since AT fluid has something in it that keeps the
high-pressure seals tight, it swelled up all the rubber parts in the
brake system and, you got it, every one had to be replaced. That was
hoses, MC, proportioning valve, calipers, cylinders, the lot.  It was a
number of $$. I was surprised at the number of pieces in the Honda
system.  On the invoice was noted the number of hours taken to do the
work. That was a surprise to me---I know I could not have done the work
nearly as quickly. BTW, he saved a pint of brake fluid for me to see,
there was a golf-ball sized sphere of red ATF resting in the bottom of
the jar.
  And then there's the story told by one of my former drinking buddies
who, when working in a shop during his college years, drained a Porshe,
refilled with the measured amount.  Owner picked up and drove away-walked
back. Drain plug was on the workbench; the five quarts were in the drain
in the service bay....
He spent a lot of volunteer time rebuilding one litte air-cooled engine.
Bob