Re: Heels & Toes

To: bmc@aa.net
Subject: Re: Heels & Toes
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:59:15 EST
Hi Scott,
  The heel & toe technique may be out of fashion but it's not without
value.
  It's the name for the technique of pushing the brake pedal with one's
toe while simultaneously pressing the throttle with the heel.  The idea
is that one can bring up the engine speed for a smooth (preferably double
clutched) downshift  while slowing the car with the brakes too.
  Alas, while this is comparatively easy to do with cars in which the
pedals are pivoted at or below floorboard level, it's not so easy with
MGBs, in which the pedals are suspended from above.  Still, it's worth
trying to learn. There was an enlarged throttle pedal worked up by Paddy
Hopkirk (obligatory St Patrick's Day content) for the three-synchro cars.

  Enjoy the practice.
Bob