Re: Heels & Toes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Heels & Toes
From: Kevin Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:08:35 -0600
Charles & Peggy Robinson wrote:

> Double clutching is a technique whereby you disengage the clutch, stick
> the tranny into neutral, engage the clutch, rev the engine up to get the
> engine and the gears in the tranny all on the same sheet of music with
> the vehicle speed, disengage the clutch, grab a gear, reengage the
> clutch and get on with slowing or moving out.  You usually do this for
> downshifting, but it's useful for when you (god forbid) miss a shift.
> --
>   Charley Robinson
>   Kerrville, TX, USA
>   <ccrobins@ktc.com>
>   `69 B Roadster

Good description of double clutch shifting.  I bought a '53
International 2-ton truck at a farm auction last saturday (at $130 I
couldn't pass it up!) and as near as I can tell it doesn't have synchros
on any of the gears.  Since I was having to downshift on all of the
steaper uphills I had to do a good job of double clutching or it would
not go in to gear -- made for an interesting drive home, especially
since the truck has a really bizzar shift pattern!

Kevin Brown  '71 MGB  '74 MGBGT  '74 TR6  '76 TR6  '65 Sprite '89 MR2
Odessa, MO    '97 Z28  9 other assorted MGBs  '53 International R-162
               and last but certainly not least - 1 very understanding
               wife!