Re: Beefing up

To: Tom Buchanan <buchanan@preferred.com>
Subject: Re: Beefing up
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 21:12:30 -0600
Tom Buchanan wrote:

> With in the next year, I plan to beef up my engine. These are the things I
> intend to do. Please, everyone jump in if you think I'm making a mistake.
>
> 1) Aluminum cross_flow head.
> 2) Roller rockers (How does the extra valve lift compare to a mild cam?)
> 3)Dual side draft Weber carbs (Would someone expound on the absence of
> vacuum     advance with these carbs or a way around it?)
> 4)A 2" diameter full flow headers and exhaust. (Who's got the best,
> quietest, and best sounding? I don't want to loose that lovely stock sound.)
> 5)Electric fan.
>
> Tom Buchanan
> buchanan@preferred.com
> http://pages.preferred.com/~buchanan/mg.html
> 1974 MGB-GT
> Kingsport, TN

Tom, the head is really appealing, but question the usefulness of the
roller rockers on a street engine(mild cam). Electric fan is an
interesting question.  Its lighter and doesn't directly rob power from
the engine, but will not move the air that the mechnical fan will.  Be
careful with the exhaust.  You want an LCB(long center branch) header
but too big a diameter primary tubing will kill the exhaust gas velocity
and reduce, not increase performance.  Namgar in July?  John Roper