RE: Beefing up

To: "'Bill Schooler'" <schooler@erols.com>, "'Kelvin Dodd'" <kdodd@West.net>
Subject: RE: Beefing up
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:53:05 -0500

> >> B, mounts two Weber DCOE on a stock B head, one
>
>> Bill Schooler replied:
>> Isn't a 45 DCOE a dual throat carb?  Why use two of
>> them?  Honest question - not meant to be sarcastic
>> - just would seem like a bit of overkill.

Yes, the 45 DCOE is a dual throat carb ... as Kelvin
indicated, you only use one barrel (throat) per intake
port (2 cylinders)... the net effect is similar to a
singel 45 DCOE.

Warning 'OF' working from memory.  I seem to reacall a
pic of this setup in Peter Burgess's book.  The spacing
of the two throats on a 45 DCOE are alot closer together
than the spacing of the the spacing of the two ports on
on the cylinder head ... so the intake manifold for a
single 45 DCOE has to take some pretty radical bends to
remain short in length.  Air flow is hampered by changes
in direction, volume or shape ... the dual Weber manifold
allows you to eliminate the bends in the intake manifold
by utilizing a single throat from each of the carbs.
Rather a radical and costly way to increase volumetric
efficiency, but it looks really cool!

Kelvin how much are you asking for the mainifold?

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII