RE: 1600 Pistons

To: "'WSpohn4'" <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Subject: RE: 1600 Pistons
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 01:04:32 -0500
Larry Unger wrote:
>> Flat top pistons are available for the 1588cc ... you might be
>> able to overbore and use the standard 1622cc pistons, but this
>> is pure conjecture on my part ... overboring can lead to
>> cylinder wall flex and overheating.

Bill S. replied:
> The 1622 bore is only about .020 and there is no problem with
> the overbore, ... [snip]

Agreed, as along as you resist the temptation to push beyond the
std. 1622cc pistons ... to say +.040 1622cc pistons ... ;^)

> ... but you have to use the larger wrist pin rods from a 1622
> or 3-main B.  ... [snip]

Oooops ... brain freeze ... I forgot about the rods ... excellent
point.

> I think that 1588 flatops are probably unobtainable. I'd suggest
> aftermarket like Ross or Venolia, ... [snip]

I did find a source, in the UK, for the cast 1498 flatops, but the
price tag was steep ... as set of custom forged pistons from Venolia
would be far less expensive.

> ... but you might have to supply your original wrist pins to be fit
> to the new pistons, as I don't know that the old clamped gudgeon pin
> is that common these days.

Hmmm ... Venolia lists all the various 'A' engines, including the
'Twinkie', in their catalog along with an extensive list of wrist pins
...  so I would think that they should be able to supply them.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII