"beefing up" Bolts/Studs and true costs

To: ninab@scoresheet.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "beefing up" Bolts/Studs and true costs
From: Littlesuzn <Littlesuzn@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:49:22 EST
Nina:
I would go with the ARP bolts/studs for the head, main, rod and flywheel. Look
at it as insurance. The old fasteners have probably been reused many times
over, causing them to stretch to a point where the torque values are useless
or at least compromised.
The above fasteners, while not cheap when talking just dollars, are far less
expensive than to redo the work if a main or rod bolt comes loose. Ball park
figures for the fasteners are in the region of $200 or so for everything.  You
have to ask yourself, "myself, ' what would it cost me if the flywheel came
loose' " or " but look at it this way, I saved $50 on rod bolts by reuseing
the old ones..... now what was that price to regrind the crank, purchase a new
rod, and what do you mean it went through the side of the block? "
Think of it like a good pillow......... you get to sleep well at night.

"Midget" Susan