Re: "beefing up" Bolts/Studs and true costs

To: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: Re: "beefing up" Bolts/Studs and true costs
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:02:39 -0400
Hi Art,

I will be rebuilding this engine myself, and I will be getting all new
bolts, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $240.00 on ARP's bolts.
These are bolts that are made for Indy race cars, not a 1275cc Midget
engine. I've noticed a trend on these lists of people being extremely
extravagant with their money and then turning around and telling others
that that's the only way to do it. Moss, who as we know is no bargain
basement supplier will do all of the bolts in a higher grade than stock
for roughly $150. Just what am I getting for my extra $90 if I go with
ARP? All I get is the ability to *tell* others that *I* used ARP bolts
in my rebuild.

I bought a Midget partly because the parts were relatively inexpensive
and the car was easy to work on. Had I wanted to spend money like there
was no tomorrow I would have bought an old Porsche. If I wanted a 5 speed
gearbox I'd have bought a Miata, if I wanted a car with a different shock
setup I'd have bought an Alfa. But I want a Midget, a Midget that isn't
trying to be anything other than a Midget. I don't need high lift roller
rockers, 5 speed trannys, Koni shocks, or any of that other junk. If the
DPO of my car hadn't put a Weber on, I certainly wouldn't have.

No disrespect meant to anyone on this list, but a Midget is a Midget. It
certainly isn't an Indy car and it ain't no Porsche. I'll stick with the
tried and true original replacement parts where and when I can. Yes the
bolts should and will all be replaced, but you can be sure that I won't
be buying them from ARP!

That's my .02

Robert Weeks
Durham NC