Re: Synchronized first, Clutching,

To: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>, autox MGS <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Synchronized first, Clutching,
From: "George (Pete) Tolleson" <gtoll@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:12:34 -0500
Kelvin Dodd wrote:

> ..At the red light the car is
> normally kept in neutral with the clutch out.  This means the input
> shaft and cluster gear are spinning around merrily at engine speed...
> ...The ways to depart stoplights then are;  Anticipate the light
> and engage the clutch early, giving the gears time to slow.  Engage
> the clutch when the light turns green, then wait until you deem the
> noise of honking cars, or grinding gear teeth is preferable...  <

There's a simple third alternative: 2nd gear *is* synchro. Before going
for 1st, begin to go into 2nd, but only go far enough to let the 2nd
gear synchro bring the gears to a halt. Going into 1st is then smooth
and easy. This extra move only takes a fraction of a second -- much less
time than it takes to describe it. (My '68 B has synchro on 1st, but I
used to do this in my '58 Morgan.)

Pete
'68 BGT