Re: Synchronized first, Clutching,

To: kdodd@West.net
Subject: Re: Synchronized first, Clutching,
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:30:14 EST
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:09:08 -0800 Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net> writes:
>A couple of notes to add to the fray.
>
>       Non synchro first gears.  The biggest problem I have had is
>with
>carbon t/o bearing cars and traffic lights.  At the red light the car
>is
>normally kept in neutral with the clutch out.  This means the input
>shaft and cluster gear are spinning around merrily at engine speed.
>When the light turns green, the immediate response is to press in the
>clutch, engage 1st gear and leave.  The problem is that it takes a
>couple of moments for the merrily spinning gears to slow after the
>clutch is engaged.  With a non-sunchro box, the lay gear must be
>stationary with respect to the first gear sliding hub.  The first gear
>
>must either be sped up (tough to do, since the car is standing still)
>or
>the lay gear must be slowed down.  In a synchro box the slowing down
>is
>achieved by a tapered brass sleeve working on a hardened section of
>gear.  In a nonsynchro box the speed matching is taken care of by an
>interaction of driver brute force and expensive, fragile gear teeth.
>The noisy demise of which is well known to all of us.
>       The ways to depart stoplights then are;  Anticipate the light
>and engage the clutch early, giving the gears time to slow.  Engage
>the
>clutch when the light turns green, then wait until you deem the noise
>of
>honking cars, or grinding gear teeth is preferable.

A much easier solution is to get into the habit of engaging 2nd gear
before engaging first. This allows the syncronsers to engage a gear, thus
stopping the layshaft motion, and thus a noisless shift into 1st.
 With a bit of practice, it becomes second nature. After 15 years of
driving a Midget (3 syncro box), I still do it on the B, even though it
has syncro 1st.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget