RE: Haven't moved MG in months, won't start

To: "MGMagnette" <MGMagnette@aol.com>, "MGMagnette" <MGMagnette@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Haven't moved MG in months, won't start
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 98 16:48:56 UT
Sounds like you need to apply a little BFH technology to the starter!!  If you
can't get it going after a few jolts and it is 'clicking' then it may very
well be the solenoid on the starter (time for a rebuild).  But wait, there is
more.  You need to double and triple check the grounds.  Remember that a poor
ground can make the starter and/or battery appear bad.  Since you say you have
a new battery, and we can rule that out, you are left with poor ground or bad
starter. In my experience, the negative terminal to body ground contact is the
critical link for the starter - be sure that this ground is OK.  If you are
convinced that it is then you can bench check the starter - this will require
its removal from the car.  If it clicks on the bench then it needs to be
rebuilt.  If it turns OK then check the ground again. HOWEVER, keep in mind
that the starter may appear to be OK when bench tested under no load, but not
have enough power to turn the engine.  In the bench test you are looking for a
starter that "JUMPS" to life - anything less may be symptomatic of a starter
that is heading south.

BTW, I learned this the hard way.  Yanked a perfectly good starter out of my
C, had it rebuilt, stuffed it back in my C and guess what - same symptoms!!!!!
 Turns out that the ground was bad despite having replaced all the ground
contacts.  That was a hard, expensive lesson.  So check the grounds!!!!

Dr. Doug
Some Cs, some Bs.