Tool of the Devil (E-clips) -Reply

To: ame@synaptics.com
Subject: Tool of the Devil (E-clips) -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:10:14 -0500
Awful things, aren't those e-clips?  I couldn't get them to *slide* back
in place like you'd think they'd go in.  (And others' experience
agrees.)  You put them against the back of the cylinder and pry the ears
in one at a time.  First one side, then the center, then the other side.

This will get the clip back in, and the car will be safe enough.  It
does leave you a little disappointed, because each time you push in an
ear, the clip bends some, leaving it the shape of a leaf of lettuce by
the time it's done.  Just doesn't look as pretty as a nice flat e-clip.
Probably lose you a couple points in a concours competition, but then so
would just driving the thing across the parking lot, eh?

Be safe.

Matt Kulka
'74 B

>>> <ame@synaptics.com> 03/23/98 09:21am >>>
     I was attempting to change the rear RHS brake cylinder at the
weekend.
      The old one came out just fine, but I couldn't get the E-clip on
     hold the new one in place...