Re: '70 MGBGT - Front End Bounce

To: GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov
Subject: Re: '70 MGBGT - Front End Bounce
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:29:07 EST
Hi Gary,
  Was this a one-time manhole incident that jerked the wheel?  Is this
wheel-jerking something that has continued since a manhole incident?
  There is a fair amount of road feel that comes back to you through the
steering wheel, since it is not isolated by a lot of turns to get action
to the front wheels, nor is there any power steering equipment in the
way. You should expect to feel big impacts, and you will feel a tug as
you cross RR tracks. So far, that's normal.
  But, if you have a thump now, or a klunk, or anything that you didn't
have before, you should look for a dent in the wheel rim and bulges in
the tire,  both of which would indicate that the tire got crushed against
the rim and is damaged.  If the tires are not wearing evenly now, it
could be that a tie rod got bent a little. If one wheel thumps, it could
be that it is bent, or that you tossed off a wheel weight.  It could be
that one shock is low on fluid and the wheel is hopping.....there are a
number of possibilities.
  Let us know more about the situation--these are just ideas that came to
mind.
Bob