Re: Paint Fumes or What?

To: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Paint Fumes or What?
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:28:33 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Dan Ray wrote:

=%OKeith:
=%OYour mental price guide is probably right. California, however, seems to be
=%Oa different world than the rest of the country in more than economics! Did
=%Oyou try to haggle the price down? A smashed GT would be worth about
=%O$500-$700, I'd say...
=%OI honestly don't know why there are so many folks living in the "Democratic
=%ORepublic of California"! It's a great place to visit, I just wouldn't want
=%Oto put up with all that crap!

Well, given that I would prefer for family reasons to be in the Great
Lakes Area (MN, WI, ILL, MI), I may not be the best apologist for CA.
However, here goes: There are lots of things to do and see here.
Practically any cultural or material amenity is readily available. The
climate is IMHO unbeatable especially near the water. ALthough costs are
high here, pay is comparably higher. And some costs ARE lower here. I'd
trade my heating bill here for few other places etc. If you are in a high
tech field, you have more opportunity here than elsewhere. There is less
overt racism etc.and more tolerance for differences and eccentricities
here than in most of the other parts of the country I've lived in. It is
not hot and humid in most of the places. My apologies to those near El
Centro. There is a huge diversity of cultures and cuisines. Although that
may bother some people, I rather like it. In the academic
circles I frequent, informality is the rule, as opposed to the case "back
East" where even the grad students (Columbia) wore ties.. You can go
surfing and Skiing in the same 8 hour day.

SO, you don't have to like it here, but I do, and remember (as I do when
I pine for the North Woods where I grew up) that there are lots of worse
places- Especially if you have the top down on your LBC.

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II