Favorite Driving Roads

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Favorite Driving Roads
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 22:33:07 EST
Favorite Driving Roads:

SW IOWA:
191 north out of Council Bluffs to G36, west on G36 through Beebeetown to
Hwy 30 at Missouri Valley, Hwy 30 east through Logan to Hwy 44, east on
Hwy 44 to Hwy 59 at Harlan, Hwy 59 south to Hwy 34 at Tabor, Hwy 34 west
to Hwy 375 at Glenwood, Hwy 375 North back into Council Bluffs.  Yes, it
is quite rural (watch for (John) Deere Crossings, especially in planting
and harvesting seasons), but its a nice relaxing drive.  Alternates
between twists and curves, pretty scenery, trees, etc; about 150 miles
total.

SW NEBRASKA / NE KANSAS:
Hwy 75 between Bellevue, Nebraska, and Topeka, Kansas; passes through
Nebraska City, Auburn, and Falls City in Nebraska and Sabetha and Holton
in Kansas, and probably several other little towns whose names escape me.

S CALIFORNIA:
Whatever the name of the road is that runs from Fort Irwin through 10
Mile Stretch and Jackhammer Pass, passes by Calico and runs in to
Barstow, all via the back roads.  About 45 miles one way, beautiful
desert scenery, especially at twilight; may appear barren to people who
are not familiar with sand and rocks.  The interstate from Barstow to
Victorville is also a nice drive, but seems to be populated with native
drivers who are unfamiliar with inclement weather.

I also have a certain affection for Interstate 40 from Barstow,
California, to Albequrque <sp>, New Mexico, and Interstate 15 from
Denver, Colorado, into Las Vegas, Nevada.

For just making good time, though, I've always admired the Kansas
Turnpike....

Rich