Re: Weird ignition problem

To: brinkg@uf4124p01.BheightsNJ.ncr.com
Subject: Re: Weird ignition problem
From: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:31:32 EST

> Symptoms:
>
>  With the points closed I am only getting 8Volts at the CD (+) terminal of
>  the coil. When I open the points manually
>  the voltage jumps to 12.5V ( I get a nice healthy spark). As a result the
>  car has a hard time starting. If I then run a
>  lead from the battery + terminal to the CB terminal of the coil, the car
>  starts instantly. So I am assumed that the problem l
>  lay with the  points/coi/condenser

Gerry:

Is your ignition switch getting warm? Measurer the voltage across it and find
out if that's where you're loosing the 4.5 V. Sounds like the problem is
somewhere between the + terminal of the ignition coil and the battery. That
4.5 V is dropping somewhere, if not across the switch, then across a terminal,
a wire, or a fuse. Make sure there is no ballast resistor, 8 V might be just
right if there is a ballast resistor.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336