Weird ignition problem

To: "'The MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Weird ignition problem
From: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BheightsNJ.ncr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 20:14:15 -0500
Over the past several months, my car has been harder and harder to start,
whether warm or cold.
Previously it would literally start on the first turn of the key.
When it starts, it runs great.

I have traced it to the ignition system and am currently stumped by what I
should be looking for next.

Symptoms:

With the points closed I am only getting 8Volts at the CD (+) terminal of
the coil. When I open the points manually
the voltage jumps to 12.5V ( I get a nice healthy spark). As a result the
car has a hard time starting. If I then run a
lead from the battery + terminal to the CB terminal of the coil, the car
starts instantly. So I am assumed that the problem l
lay with the  points/coi/condenser

Today I received the new parts from England. Installed new points,
condenser, rotor, dizzy cap and a new coil.

Same problem - I still get 8V at the CB terminal and the car is almost
impossible to start.

I have :
Removed the leads from the rev counter - no change
Checked engine ground - no change

Anybody got any ideas where I should be looking next. My theory is that I
have a faulty dizzy, and that current is
going through the points - straight to ground

thanks gerry

For reference this is a 1968 Scimitar, V6 Essex engine, negative ground and
a non-ballasted coil- exactly the same wiring set up as my MGB.