fire extinguisher and battery cutoff switch locations?

To: "'The MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: fire extinguisher and battery cutoff switch locations?
From: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BheightsNJ.ncr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 18:02:27 -0500
In a message dated 3/23/98 5:38:11 PM, kevins@khoral.com wrote:

>Hey all you racing and safety types, where is the preferred location and
>mounting for a fire extinguisher and battery cutoff switch in an MGA?  I
>assume for racers there are rules regarding these and these would be the
>ones to follow, no?

If yiyu are racing first check with the sanction body rule book.
Otherwise you should have a cutoff switch within reach of the driver while
siting an strapped in.
You may also need one on the outside of the car for the corner workers to
get to in event of an emergency.
I have mine located in the middle of the dash-board. Remember also to wire
you alternator/regulator through the
cut-off switch, other wise you may find that the engine does not stop
running if the cutoff switch is dis-engaged.

Fire-extinguishers : get the best you can afford and then buy 2 of them. Do
NOT get the ones with the plastic
nozzles. Instead get one with metal nozzles and a meter. Have them tested
every year. I have 2 installed in my car,
but are the "Purple K???" variety. One is placed in the trunk and the other
is placed under the front of the driver's seat.

gerry