Re: Replacing seat covers

To: schauss@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Replacing seat covers
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:30:18 EST
On Fri, 27 Mar 1998 02:22:13 +0000 Peter Schauss
<schauss@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>I bought the leather seat cover kit for my '80 B from Moss and I have
>two questions about the installation:
>
>1.  Lindsay Porter's book on DIY Restoration recommends gluing a thin
>layer of foam over the seat foams.  I am replacing the seat foams.  Is
>it still necessary to add this layer of thin foam?

Yes - having tried it both ways, the thin foam (use 1/4") allows you to
mould the seat to a more professional look - it fills the corners so to
speak. -it does however make it much harder to get the cover on - use a
bin liner - much as mentioned in Porters book - its a sort of
upholstering ky jelly!!

>2.  Porter's instructions also say to use contact cement in several
>critical spots to make the covers take the contour of the seat foams.
>What kind of contact cement should I use?

3M heavy duty - best Ive ever come across but DONT use the lightweight
version
(general purpose) it doesnt bond well for this application

Oh - and avoid keeping a screwdriver in the back pocket of your jeans!!
(BTDT!)

mike robson
69 roadster (getting new foams but using original covers this spring)
70 BGT (new foams/covers last year)
72 roadster (new foams/covers and screwdriver hole 2 years ago!)