Re: fuel pump?

To: autox MGS <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: fuel pump?
From: "George (Pete) Tolleson" <gtoll@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:18:41 -0500
Rick, Trevor, Dan, & Jerry,

Many thanks for the suggestions. I think a sticking outlet valve on the
fuel pump is the most likely source of the problem there, especially in
view of its taking so long to start. There's no smell of gasoline, so I
don't think it's sticking float valves. And wouldn't an air leak between
tank and fuel pump also become a gas leak when it's not running?

On the misfiring problem, because of the irregularity if the misfiring,
it sounds to me like Jerry's suggestion is the most likely. Now that I
think about it, it does feel like it's running too lean. I hadn't
thought of the manifold's warming up later than the engine.

I do have a weak valve, Dan; the compression is 130, 130, 110, 95, and
the paper test does "snap snap" a little. There's an irregularity in the
cranking too, which also suggests a valve. But wouldn't that give a
*regular* misfire?

I'll try to check these tomorrow when I've had the car inspected and can
possibly get to a lift. It's pushing my luck to drive it much on an
expired sticker, and it's hard to check the fuel pump in a gravel
driveway. I'll let you know what I find.

Pete
'68 BGT