Re: RS Light Bulbs

To: mgbob@juno.com
Subject: Re: RS Light Bulbs
From: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 11:19:25 EST

> Hi Trevor,
>    I have never understood how this thing works.
>     Is it like the flasher of the turn signals, wherin the current heats a
>  spring that pops open the contacts, then closes them as it cools? I have
>  never heard it operate, unlike the flasher.
>    If so, what sort of open/close rate would it have in order that the
>  gauges do not leap up and down on their scales? Over what period of time
>  does the thing average the voltage?
>  Bob

Bob:

The gauges don't leap up and down their scales because they are dampened
and respond very very slowly. I guess MG gets away with this because the
temperature and fuel level don't change very fast. If you measure the
stabilizer
output with an analog meter, you will see the needle swinging up and down
between zero and battery voltage at a rate of about twice a second. With the
needle swinging like that, I couldn't determine what the average voltage was.
I guess one would need a dampened meter to measure the average voltage
output of the stabalizer. Anyway, I replaced my stabilizer with a 10V solid
state regulator. Now I know the voltage is 10 volts.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336