Re: fuel pump

To: Ldanny@concentric.net
Subject: Re: fuel pump
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 08:46:41 EDT
Hi Danny,
  The SU pump delivers fuel at 3-4 psi. The carburettor float valve can
shut off and turn on the fuel arriving at that pressure so that it
maintains the level in the carburettor's float chamber (bowl).   If the
pressure is much greater, the float valve assembly cannot shut off the
incoming fuel, and the level being too high will cause "flooding"
  Since the carb mixes fuel and air, and there is a fairly narrow range
of burnable mixtures, the carb needs to have as many things constant as
possible. Atmospheric pressure is one, and the fuel level is another.
Essentially, if there is too much fuel in the bowl, then you are going to
get too much fuel into the air/fuel mix and the engine won't run right.
It's "flooded" with gasoline, or at least running "rich".
  You did not mention in this posting what fuel pump you are using.  If
it's an SU, it is probably doing the job OK and the problem is elsewhere.
If it's another pump, you may find, as your friend did, that the pressure
is too great and that a regulator will solve the problem. Or, you could
use a 4 psi pump.  There was some correspondence about other low-pressure
pumps a couple of months ago. If you can't find it, let me know and I
will go archive digging for these.
  Forget about using the switch to regulate things. That's going to get
you rear-ended when you forget the thing and the engine dies as you leave
a stoplight.  Use the switch to keep someone from stealing your car.
Bob