Re: seat foams

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: seat foams
From: Douglas McKinnie <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 98 12:49:14 +0100
>I was just checking VB and Moss for 1969 seat foams - neither of them
>seem to have them -
>Anyone have any idea of any supplier who is carrying the 69s? - i know
>theyre a one-off but i seem to recall them being available not long ago

When I replaced my seat foam I just went to a local discount fabric
shop and purchased a 20x20 inch block of upholstery foam. I removed
the old foam, used it as a template drew the outline of its shape on
the new block, and then proceeded to cut with an electric carving
knife. For the tapers at the front and back I did a bit of freeform
carving. This is really a very easy job.

Although the foam is open-cell as opposed to what is presumably
closed-cell, the amount of support seems correct. I would guess that
most of my improved comfort comes from the renewal of the seat
diaphragm.

Total cost (including carving knife from a 'Goodwill' shop <$10.
Not original, but who is ever going to know?

Douglas McKinnie (in England)
72 MGB-GT (in Ohio)