Asphalt sound deadening pads

Subject: Asphalt sound deadening pads
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 98 19:45:55 -0700
Just finished chiselling, scraping and cursing the asphalt sound
deadening pads off the floors of my B.  Next week, it's wirebrushing,
sanding and two coats of POR-15.  The new carpet is on the way. And I
have everything else I need. (Except an original set of front & rear
rubber floor mats)

The only question I have at this point is whether to replace the asphalt.
 It seems to have melted from the heat in the area above the exhaust
pipe.  And the floors do sound awful tinny.  So I think I'll need to put
something in its place, lest my shoes melt and I go deaf from road noise.
 Is there a better solution?

As always, Thanks in advance for your replies.

Joseph
67 B Roadster