Re: Road salt in Denver

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Road salt in Denver
From: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:54:52 EDT

> My experience has always been that if you have a light car, you will
>  slide very badly in the snow.  You don't want to float on the stuff, you
>  want to cut down to the bottom to the pavement if possible. The whole idea
> of
>  putting bags of sand or chains in the back of your car is to give you more
>  weight.  The FWD cars do better in the snow because the weight of the
>  engine is resting on the front tires.

This brings to mind one winter in my '64 FWD Saab 96. This car had the weight
highly biased to the front (much more than modern FWD). After a snow storm I
was out cruising when a fellow in the next lane rolled down his window and
shouted out that my rear wheels weren't turning. My handbrake had frozen up
and I didn't even realize it! This must have perplexed onlookers as most
people hadn't heard of FWD back then. This was probably the best snow and ice
2WD car ever made.

Sorry MG, you weren't designed for snow. But you more than make up for it in
the summer!

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336