Re: I Don't Trust Static Timing Anymore

To: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Subject: Re: I Don't Trust Static Timing Anymore
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 01:14:52 -0400
Bob MGT wrote:

> I had been having some pinging lately on my '71 MGB. A quick check of the
> static timing showed 7 deg BTDC which is retarded compared to the book spec of
> 10 deg (for the 18GK engine). I tried several different brands of premium gas,
> but the pinging persisted. I finally broke down and bought a timing gun
> (strobe light) and measured 20 deg BTDC @ 1500 rpm. The book says 15 deg.  I
> adjusted the dizzy for 15 deg and took it for a test drive. Happy days, no
> more pinging! I now believe that static timing is only for ballparking from
> scratch just to get the engine started.

  Well, if you have the same dynamic timing but a different static
timing
then something is "different" in your set up.

  Obviously the dynamic setting is what matters, but it all should be
the same.

  For example, if your mechanical advance springs were weak, you'd get
too much advance at too low of RPMs. That could explain your
situation, and changing the static timing is only hiding the real
problem.

  If you can find data, plot a full advance curve and see.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/