Re: I Don't Trust Static Timing Anymore

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: I Don't Trust Static Timing Anymore
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:37:42 EDT
On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 22:14:50 -0400 Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
writes:
>Rick Morrison wrote:
>> Static timing is not some magic number that is "correct" for the B.
>As
>> Bob correctly surmised, static timing is a starting point. nothing
>more.
>
>  That's a pretty strong overgeneralization.

>  Many cars ONLY give timing data for static
  I can't think of one off hand where the dynamic timing is not
availible. It may not be in the owners manual, but it is availible.

> If you car is working and original, setting the static timing where the
manufacturer says will put timing at all RPMs where the manufacturer
suggests.

IF the car is original and IF the dizzy is the same specs as the one the
timing was configured initially then your generalization may be accurate.

 MG in it's infinite wisdom installed several different distributors in
the B series engine (as well as the A series) over the years, most of
which are physicaly interchangable, but had different  advance rates,
total advance and different vacuum advance units. Add to that the
variations for various markets, and you get a BUNCH of availible dizzys.
Only one of which is "correct" for a given model.

>  Note that where the manufacturer suggests might not be the
>most optimal for your situation, but that is true for both static
>and dynamic timing.

>  If you set your static timing to what the manufacturer suggests,
>and the dynamic timing is way off, something is "different". Different
>does not mean wrong, you may be better off this way, but something
>is not the way the car was when it left the factory.

That is the whole point. there are too many possibilities for one of our
cars to have the "incorrect" distributor or advance curve to say that the
static timing is anything more than a starting point.
 Given a bog stock engine, the manufacturers spec for dynamic timing is
the final figure to use and let the static timing fall where it may.
After all, how much trouble can  static time that is out by 4 degrees do
to an engine that is not running. 4 degrees off on total advance could
cause a bunch of problems on an engine that is running.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget