Re: Tools for B manifold to downpipe flange

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tools for B manifold to downpipe flange
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:25:14 +0000
> Dan,
>
>   It happens that I just replaced my B's exhaust system from the
> manifold back. I used a deepwell socket, a universal, long extension and
> a breakover bar to get the manifold-to-beadpipe nuts loose (all 3/8"
> drive).  Soaked everything in several applications of penetrating oil
> overnight.
> --
>   Charley Robinson
>   Kerrville, TX, USA
>   NAMGBR  8-3530
>   `69 B Roadster

I'd like to add my experience.  About two weeks ago, I replaced
everything from the downpipe back.  The best advice I can give you is
to loosen the manifold from the cylinder head.  There are one or two
of the manifold-to-downpipe bolts that are are bear to get to past
the oil pan, even with the universal socket.  They're MUCH easier
with the manifold pulled away from the head.
Scott