Fwd: electrical fire ;-(

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: electrical fire ;-(
From: HGlenBetts <HGlenBetts@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:02:53 EDT

--part0_892695774_boundary

I think I had the wrong address when I sent this last week, Fortunately, I cc
myself, so here's another copy ( right address I hope...

In a message dated 98-04-10 14:53:37 EDT, HGlenBetts writes:

<<
 I had a good winter reading the digest and was glad to pull the tarp off the
'B' and get back to my project.
 It's a 76 MG-B, last year I replaced the entire wiring harness and did many
other things to get it running for the first time in 10 years.( found it in a
barn and towed it home)

 The other day I installed a new battery and started it up. ran pretty good (
still on blocks, finishing up the rostyles). Shut it down then started
cleaning dash and gauge faces when the frightening odor of burning wire hit
the air. Popped the hood and yanked a few wires. The ignition was not all the
way off. also noted that the light switch ws set at parking lamp.

 The wire that toasted was Red/Green, from fuze box to light switch. The
entire wire is toasted,end to end, and burned through others. I will be
stripping the harness, visually checking for other damage and installing a new
light switch.

 Does anyone have any trouble shooting advice to find root cause??

 How about some diagnostics to verify if I've caught all the damage to other
wiring??

 I had yet to do any work on eny of the lamps or sockets. Could this have been
caused by a short in one of them??

 #2 fuze did blow. This is linked hot with #1. The other side of fuze is red
wire (some right side lamps etc.)

 Thanks in advance

 Glen, in chilly Michigan

 76 MG-B

 with fire extingishers in tow >>

--part0_892695774_boundary

#2 fuze did blow. This is linked hot with #1. The other side of fuze is red